Collection and Use of Personal Information
Personal information is data that can be used to identify or contact a single person.
You may be asked to provide your personal information anytime you are in contact with the Virginia Economic Development Partnership. You are not required to provide the personal information that we have requested, but, if you chose not to do so, in many cases we will not be able to provide you with our products or services or respond to any queries you may have.
Here are some examples of the types of personal information the Virginia Economic Development Partnership may collect on this website and how we may use it:
What personal information we collect
- When you create an account on this website, we may collect a variety of information, including your name, mailing address, phone number, email address, contact preferences, affiliations, and business preferences.
How we use your personal information
- The personal information we collect allows us to personalize your experience while visiting this website.
- We also use personal information to help us develop, operate, deliver, and improve our services on this Virginia Economic Development Partnership website.
- From time to time, we may use your personal information to send important notices, such as communications about changes to our terms, conditions, and policies. Because this information is important to your interaction with the Virginia Economic Development Partnership, you may not opt out of receiving these communications.
- We may also use personal information for internal purposes such as auditing, data analysis, and research to improve the Virginia Economic Development Partnership’s services, and customer communications.
Collection and Use of Non-Personal Information
We also collect data in a form that does not, on its own, permit direct association with any specific individual. We may collect, use, transfer, and disclose non-personal information for any purpose. The following are some examples of non-personal information that we collect and how we may use it:
- We may collect information such as occupation, language, zip code, area code, location, and the time zone so that we can better understand the businesses and organizations which have memberships on our website to improve our services.
- We may collect and store details of how you use our services, including search queries. This information may be used to improve the relevancy of results provided by our services. Except in limited instances to ensure quality of our services over the Internet, such information will not be associated with your IP address.
If we do combine non-personal information with personal information the combined information will be treated as personal information for as long as it remains combined.
Cookies and Other Technologies
If you want to disable cookies check with your browser provider to find out how to do so. Please note that certain features of the the Virginia Economic Development Partnership website will not be available once cookies are disabled.
As is true of most internet services, we gather some information automatically and store it in log files. This information includes Internet Protocol (IP) addresses, browser type and language, Internet service provider (ISP), referring and exit websites and applications, operating system, date/time stamp, and clickstream data.
We use this information to understand and analyze trends, to administer the site, to learn about user behavior on the site, to improve our services, and to gather demographic information about our user base as a whole. The Virginia Economic Development Partnership may use this information in our marketing and advertising services.
Disclosure to Third Parties
At times the Virginia Economic Development Partnership may make certain personal information available to strategic partners that work with the Virginia Economic Development Partnership to provide products and services, or that help us reach customers. Personal information will only be shared by the Virginia Economic Development Partnership to provide or improve our services; it will not be shared with third parties for their marketing purposes.
It may be necessary – by law, legal process, litigation, and/or requests from public and governmental authorities within or outside your country of residence − for the Virginia Economic Development Partnership to disclose your personal information. We may also disclose information about you if we determine that for purposes of national security, law enforcement, or other issues of public importance, disclosure is necessary or appropriate.
We may also disclose information about you if we determine that disclosure is reasonably necessary to enforce our terms and conditions or protect our operations or members. Additionally, in the event of a reorganization, merger we may transfer any and all personal information we collect to the relevant third party.
Protection of Personal Information
The Virginia Economic Development Partnership takes the security of your personal information very seriously. When your personal data is stored by the Virginia Economic Development Partnership, we use computer systems with limited access housed in facilities using physical security measures.
When you use some of the Virginia Economic Development Partnership services, the personal information and content you share is visible to other users and can be read, collected, or used by them. You are responsible for the personal information you choose to share or submit in these instances. Please take care when using these features.
Integrity and Retention of Personal Information
Access to Personal Information
You can help ensure that your contact information and preferences are accurate, complete, and up to date by logging in to your account. For other personal information we hold, we will provide you with access for any purpose including to request that we correct the data if it is inaccurate or delete the data if the Virginia Economic Development Partnership is not required to retain it by law or for legitimate business purposes. We may decline to process requests that are frivolous/vexatious, jeopardize the privacy of others, are extremely impractical, or for which access is not otherwise required by local law.
Third‑Party Sites and Services
The Virginia Economic Development Partnership website and services may contain links to third-party websites and services. Our products and services may also use services from third parties. Information collected by third parties, which may include such things as location data or contact details, is governed by their privacy practices. We encourage you to learn about the privacy practices of those third parties.
Our Organizational Commitment to Your Privacy
To make sure your personal information is secure, we communicate our privacy and security guidelines to the Virginia Economic Development Partnership employees and strictly enforce privacy safeguards within the company.
All such communications are examined and replies issued where appropriate as soon as possible.